Wednesday 31 October 2012

Fever Series: Shadowfever

Whew! I am finally done with the Fever series... for now, anyway. 
I have to admit that I'm kinda glad. While it's an absolutely epic series, it's also absolutely exhausting! I'm not going to give a full recap because it would take me forever to get through everything. So, I'm just going to gloss over the important stuff, and then talk about the things I loved about the series and then the stuff that I wasn't overjoyed with.
The cliffhanger from Dreamfever was not dealt with fast enough for my liking. But that's probably because I'm waaaaay impatient. But it took about eight or nine chapters and by that time I was practically rabid.
Darroc, aka the Lord Master, is killed. I have to admit that it was pretty anti-climatic. I was hoping that this particular bad guy would go with more of a bang.   
We get to know Barrons' merry band of psychopaths better. It's the crazed fangirl in me that lets out a "squeee!" of delight whenever Ryodan or Lor is in a scene. These guys are so fine.
We find out who killed Mac's sister. I have to tell you, I did not see that coming. I felt so bad for Mac because she was totally blindsided.
We find out what happened to Fiona. I have two words to sum this up: not pretty. But she remains helplessly, hopelessly in love with Barrons and it still makes her a little insane. I want to quote Dr Sheldon Cooper here to sum up Fiona's character: Bitches be crazy.
Rowena gets her comeuppance for being such a deeply unpleasant woman. Quite frankly, given everything that happened, I still think they went too easy on her.
Mac and Dani have a bit of a fallout. This is unresolved by the end of the book and will probably pick up again in Dani's book, Iced. 
The sweet, sexy Scotsman Christian McKeltar is having some serious issues. From what I understand, Christian will be playing a key role in Iced.
We find out why Barrons wants the Sinsar-Dubh. It's actually really sad. He's not the selfish jackass we initially think he is. He's still a jackass but one with some serious baggage.  
We meet the Unseelie King, his concubine, the Seelie Queen, and Cruce (the Unseelie Prince, War, who's supposed to be dead). We meet some other fairies too, but they're not so important.
Hmmm... let me think... what else happened...?
Oh, right! Mac and Barrons finally stopped dancing around each other and are now a couple. Again, given their stormy relationship, I thought their coming together would have happened with more of a bang (no pun intended).
I loved this series from beginning to end. It's actually quicker for me to go through what I didn't like about the series than what I loved. Judging by the way I gushed about this series in older posts, it's obvious that I'm a huge fan. 
The twist and turns were dizzying. I was hard pressed to keep up sometimes. I actually think Ms Moning should have slowed things down slightly. Just to give Mac- and the reader- a chance to catch their breath. Then there's Barrons and Mac's relationship. When they finally got together, they could be really sweet. But the events leading up to it sort of reminded me of that song by Pink, You Make Me Sick. They were always fighting! They even did that pushy, shovey thing and, to be honest, it made me uncomfortable. My last little issue is that the story was told in first person. I don't normally have an issue with that but it bugged me a little towards the end of the series. I've heard about people complaining that some of the characters (ie. Barrons) didn't show a whole lot of growth during the series. And that's because we were never in their heads. And I don't think that I'm alone in wondering what was going through Barrons' head at certain points. Like when Mac bought him a birthday cake and he then smashed it into the ceiling. Why did he do that?! I just think it would have added more to the story if we could have had a chance to look from everyone's perspective. 
Just want to share two of my favourite scenes with you:
This is the scene where the Lord Master has his head ripped off. I know it's inappropriate, but I found this inexplicably hilarious. I think it shows how far Mac has come from being spoiled Pink Mac to ruthless Black Mac.
He stumbles and collapses to the ground. Somewhere nearby, I hear garbled sounds. Oh, God, his head is still talking. 
Good! Can he form sentences? I'm in a strong bargaining position. Tell me what I want, and I'll put your head back on. 
A scene between Barrons and Mac after they've hooked up and they're going to go after the Sinsar Dubh.
"Jericho, I feel like my whole life has been pushing me toward this moment."
"That's it. Fate's a fickle whore. We're not going. Take your clothes off and get back in my bed."

And that's it for me on the Fever front until I get my hands on Iced. 

No comments:

Post a Comment