Sunday 7 October 2012

Demonica Series: Pleasure Unbound

Have you ever heard the saying that goes "the road to hell is paved with good intentions"? Whoever said that hit the nail square on the head. I had every intention of studying on my week-long break. But I didn't. Instead I read and did nothing.
But I'm glad I did get around to reading because Pleasure Unbound by Larissa Ione was pretty good. The story is set in New York. There are humans, demons, and human demon hunters. The story is about Tayla, a hunter, and Eidolon, a demon doctor who is in charge of the Underworld General Hospital. I liked these two although I wouldn't have blamed Eidolon if he'd decided to throttle Tayla. This chick gave him such a hard time with the "no, leave me alone!" and then the "wait, come back!" thing she had going. Not that I really blame her. With her mom having been killed by a demon, having warm fuzzies for one must have been confusing. Tayla also had me laughing a whole bunch of times. This chick had a wicked sense of humour.
Eidolon was a real sweetie. He's a Seminus demon (a type of incubus) and he needs to find a mate pronto before he undergoes a freakish change that makes him lose his marbles. Tayla coming into the picture is making it damn near impossible for him to sort himself out and the story goes on from there. 
I kinda felt myself getting frustrated for Eidolon. While I get where Tayla's coming from, her hot and cold attitude was hard to keep up with. One minute she and Eidolon are doing the nasty, the next she's conked him on the head with a steel pipe and chained him to her bed. In a non-kinky, lets-have-some-fun kind of way. 
We also met Eidolon's brothers, Shade and Wraith (yum!) and Tayla's sister, Gem. I am dying to learn more about these three. I loved Gem! She was funny and sweet and no-nonsense all at once. Gem is also burning a gigantic torch for demon hunter Kynan. It's so sad because it really doesn't look like it's going to happen for various reasons. 
I really enjoyed this series. I liked the characters, the world, the humour and the whole story in general. It was a fun read. I think fans of J.R Ward might enjoy it. It's not quite as gritty but has the same sort of vibe, I think
Just to share some of my favourite quotes with you guys:

From Tayla's perspective:
They entered the apartment, which though small, proved that vampires weren't all grim and Goth. No, this was worse. The stuff of nightmares.
Shades of purple and yellow assaulted her vision, from the lavender carpet to the baby-duck colored, fuzzy lamp shade. Even the walls had been slathered with lemon paint. Christ, the place looked like a Muppet slaughter house. She deserved to die for her horrible taste in decor alone. 
  From Eidolon's perspective:
Something inside Eidolon buckled, and fuck, nothing should be buckling or unbuckling for this woman. There had already been way too much of the latter.
From Gem's perspective:
Doctor Gemella Endri was up to her elbows in condoms.
(as is typical, Kynan walks in at this point.)
I dare you to read that last quote and not laugh. So, the bottom line is this: go read Pleasure Unbound. It's pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment