Monday 15 October 2012

Fever Series: Bloodfever

When I read a book I tend to weigh the heroine on the "Kick Ass Scale" from one to ten, with "one" being a Bella and "ten" being a Buffy. I think I'm going to have to label any heroine who goes to an eleven or something a Mac. She has this "never say die" attitude that I both admire and am totally freaked out by at the same time. 
Bloodfever wasn't quite as good as Darkfever, but it was still pretty effing awesome. Mac and Barrons are still doing that thing where they're all formal and stuff. The moments where they get all pissy with one another are too funny! They've each always got some smart ass comment ready and I have to admit, Barrons makes me roll around laughing. I know I said that Barrons is an ass and I stand by that...
But he's so funny! And despite his bad behaviour, I really wish he and Mac would just go there already. I think this little tidbit is a good example of the tension between these two. It also raises the question which will plague the rest of the series (I'm on Dreamfever now and we still have no idea): What the heck is Jericho Barrons?
"I've heard there are no male sidhe-seers."
"Where did you hear that?
"Around?"
"And which one of those are you in doubt about, Ms Lane?"
"Which one of what?"
"Whether I see the Fae, or whether I'm a man. I believe I've laid your mind to rest on the former; shall I relieve it on the latter?"
He reached for his belt.

I was torn between rolling my eyes and rolling around on the floor laughing. He is so obnoxious but so damn sexy, all at once.
We also had more interaction with the characters we met in Darkfever and we were introduced to new characters too.
Let me start with the familiar faces. V'lane, the death-by-sex Fae, still gives me the heeby-jeebies. He's up to something, besides getting into Mac's pants, and he has no damn scruples. Fiona is still crazy in love with Barrons, although at this point she is leaning heavily towards being bat-shit crazy. Rowena, the aging sidhe-seer, is one deeply unpleasant old bat. I don't like her one little bit. The "Lord Master" (pretentious, much?) is still running around causing trouble, although this happens mostly in the background. Malluce, the vampire, is falling apart. When you get to what's going on with him, you will cringe.
Now for the newbies. My favourite new character is Dani. She's a precocious thirteen year old sidhe-seer with super speed, a bad attitude and a potty mouth. Judging by the fact that book six in the Fever Series, Iced, will be told from Dani's perspective, I imagine we'll be seeing a lot of her. Inspector Jayne is a member of Ireland's Garda and is being a major pain in Mac's butt. Lastly, we meet Christopher MacKeltar. He seems like your average, everyday guy but he knows a thing or two that Mac finds herself wanting to hear more about.
Last thing before I stop jabbering about this book. Mac and Barrons do kiss. And I couldn't even yell "FINALLY!" because Mac had kinda- who am I kidding?- really freaked me out a few pages before. Let me just say that Mac picked up on a nasty habit of Malluce's and leave it at that.
Ooooh, wait! I lied. This is the last thing:
"What are you Barrons?"
"The one who will never let you die, and that's more, Ms Lane, than anyone in your life has ever been able to say to you. More than anyone else can do."

No comments:

Post a Comment