Sunday 21 October 2012

Fever Series: Faefever

I love this series so much! Faefever was so good. 
 Mac is one seriously awesome heroine. And the stuff she has to put up with! "Pink Mac" as she refers to her younger, clueless self is slowly being replaced by a darker Mac. She struggles to deal with the nasty habit she picked up from Malluce and, what's worse, she teaches it to Inspector Jayne. I understand why she did it but still... gross. 
Faefever sees Mac dealing with some serious trust issues and she thinks that it's past time to diversify. Who is she to trust? Barrons who tells her diddly squat? V'lane, the death-by-sex fae, who is by his very nature untrustworthy? She thinks she's been relying too heavily on Barrons for her survival and she doesn't quite trust V'lane. That's why she throws poor Inspector Jayne into the mix. 
Mac really is struggling with her relationship with Barrons. I think that to desribe it as "tense" would be an understatement. He teaches her to resist Voice (a little like Harry Potter's imperius curse) and they go after the Sinsar Dubh. I don't think I've mentioned the Sinsar Dubh before. Sorry about that. In short, it's one seriously evil book, full of black magic, that corrupts whoever touches it. Barrons wants it but we don't know why. Mac also gets closer to V'lane, and he gives her a way for her to contact him whenever she needs him by placing his name on her tongue. It works like the mystical equivalent of a cell phone. 
We also deal more with the other sidhe-seers in this book. Rowena, the head of the sidhe-seer council, is a bitch. Dani, the fierce young sidhe-seer with a potty mouth, is awesome. 
Faefever centres around a huge problem: how to keep the walls between the human and fae worlds up. Because once the walls come down, all the creepy Unseelie come out and chaos will ensue. 
 As though all this wasn't bad enough, right at the end she gets captured by people that make Malluce look like the Easter Bunny. Ms Moning and her cliffhangers are a killer! Word to the wise: if you're reading this series get ALL of the books. You will die from not knowing. 
Just to share my favourite moments from the book. Interestingly enough, they all involve Barrons. Sigh... how the mighty have fallen.

After a hair raising run in with the Sinsar Dubh.
I began to cry.
Barrons looked horrified. "Stop that immediately, Ms Lane."
"I can't." I sniffled into my cup of cocoa so he wouldn't see my face.
"Try harder."
I think that may have been panic talking here.

Turns out Barrons is having a birthday soon. Mac decides to get him a birthday cake but, since she doesn't know how old he is, she puts Pi on the cake. It was during this scene that I wished this story was in third person so we could get the slightest clue what's going on in Barrons' head.
"Pi, Ms Lane? I'd pegged you for failing high school math."
"I got a D. The little stuff always trips me up. But the big stuff stuck with me."
"Why Pi?
""It's irrational and uncountable."
Funny girl, wasn't I?
"It's also a constant," he said dryly.

I don't want to spoil anything but, after having read Dreamfever and starting on Shadowfever, I no longer hate Barrons. Yes, he's a creep. But he's a nice creep, if that makes any sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment