Friday 8 March 2013

Midnight Breeds: Midnight Rising

Midnight Rising is book four in the Midnight Breeds series. I was really looking forward to this one since it's Rio's book, and he's been really sad since his mate, Eva, proved to be a traitorous bitch. So I was really looking forward to him finding his special someone and being happy again.
Midnight Rising takes place five months after Midnight Awakening and starts off in the Czech Republic. Our leading lady, Dylan, is on holiday with friends when she runs into something a little out of the ordinary. Dylan is a reporter and she can see ghosts. Not a la Sixth Sense but creepy enough in its own right. The ghost tells her that there's somebody up on that mountain that is in some serious need of saving. Dylan, against her better judgement, goes to investigate. It's there that she runs into a slightly Loony Tunes Rio. 
Rio has been hanging out in the cave that the Order discovered at the end of Midnight Awakening, They were looking for some Big Bad that was apparently buried there, and they were set on destroying it for good. Unfortunately, it was nowhere to be found, and they were left with a great, big empty cave that needed to be closed up in case any nosy humans got too close. Rio volunteers to blow the place up before he heads off to Spain. 
Needless to say, Rio doesn't have any plans on heading on over to his homeland. Rio's decided that he's had enough and spends the next five months working himself up to ending it all. He's just about to blow up the cave, with him inside, when Dylan stumbles onto the scene and sees more than she ought to. And being the nosy reporter that she is, she takes some pretty compromising pictures of both the cave and of Rio. 
It's then up to Rio to make that Dylan's pictures and article don't blow the entire Breed's cover. 
And so the story progresses from there.
I have decided that from now on I will have no expectations for this series. When I have low expectations, I'm blown away. When I have high expectations, I'm disappointed. 
The latter is exactly what happened in this book. I was so excited for Rio, and then it all fell a little flat. Maybe his HEA happened to soon? I hesitate to say this since I'll probably come off as an insensitive bitch, but I actually found Rio a tiny bit... whiny. I know that sounds awful, because the guy has been through a lot, but there were times where I just wanted to scream. It's like, stop feeling so sorry for yourself! 
I love a tortured hero as much as the next girl, but this was getting a bit much for even me. As for Dylan, I thought she was okay. I didn't really connect with her, which also diminished my enjoyment of this book. The story line is definitely still there, although this was probably the least action-packed book in the series so far. I think Ms Adrian is working up to making the new villain really bad. Won't take much, I think. This guy is already making the last bad guy, Marek, look like a wuss. 
But on a happier note, we did hear more from some of the other characters and we found out that Tess and Dante are expecting. That was one bright spark in an otherwise pretty angsty book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment