Tuesday 12 March 2013

Dragon Kin: Dragon Actually

Dragon Actually is the first book that I've read that centres around dragons. So I wasn't quite sure what to expect, and I was pleasantly surprised. 
The book is divided into two stories: Dragon Actually, and Chains and Flames.

Dragon Actually:
Annwyl is leading a rebellion against her brother's rule. He's is an all-round heartless jackass. And Annwyl... well, she's pretty fierce. I mean, you'd have to be to have earned the title of Annwyl the Bloody. This title has come courtesy of the fact that she likes to chop off  her opponents' heads.
Our male lead is the mighty dragon, Fearghus the Destroyer. He's a fairly grumpy dragon who values nothing more than than his quiet time. He also doesn't spend all his time as a dragon. He can also turn into a human. 
Annwyl and Fearghus met just as Annwyl was on the brink of death. She'd just fought a bloody battle against her brother's soldiers, and she was bleeding out. Fearghus, for reasons he can't even explain to himself, saves Annwyl and burns the remaining soldiers to a crisp. Most of the book is spent with Fearghus taking care of Annwyl as a dragon, and training her to fight as a human. The catch? Annwyl doesn't realise that her knight and her dragon are the same person.
We also met Fearghus's siblings. I enjoyed most of them, especially Gwenvael and Morfyd. Gwenvael was a little on the touchy-feely side with Annwyl. After repeatedly telling the man to keep his hands to himself, Annwyl breaks his fingers. My kind of lady...
I liked both Fearghus and Annwyl. Fearghus was actually really sweet in how he tried to find a way to explain to Annwyl what his situation was. Annwyl, while I liked her kickass attitude, was a bit dense. I mean, really? I could actually buy her not being able to tell that her dragon and her knight were the same guy. But what I didn't believe was that she'd repeatedly do the nasty with a guy and not ask his name.

Chains and Flames:
Chains and Flames was the shorter of the two stories. It follows the spoiled princess Rhiannon and the blood thirsty warrior Bercelak. These two are Fearghus's parents, and they were very odd ducks.
Rhiannon is betrothed to Bercelak by her mother, who hates her guts. Rhiannon, apparently, hates everyone's guts. Bercelak absolutely adores Rhiannon. It makes me question his intellect. While Rhiannon is waiting for Bercelak to officially Claim her, her mother has trapped her in her human form. No flying and breathing fire for Rhiannon. Although, if you ask me, Rhiannon did not need scales and claws to be downright terrifying.
I must admit, for most of the book I did not like Rhiannon. At all. She was an arrogant, mean, ungrateful bitch. I didn't expect to like Bercelak, but I actually felt quite sorry for him. I couldn't even begin to see Rhiannon's appeal. It was better in the end though, once she'd let her guard down. 
  
But besides that, I thought this book was lots of fun. It won't make my all time favourites list, but I'll definitely keep up with this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment