Friday 25 January 2013

Mark of the Vampire Series: Eternal Kiss

I was a little wary when I started this book. I was hugely disappointed by Eternal Hunger so I was on guard with Eternal Kiss. But I needn't have worried. The second installment of the Mark of the Vampire series totally made up for the first one. 
This is Nicholas' book and I actually liked him. He was working the whole "tortured hero" thing and, unlike with Alexander, we actually got a glimpse into his past. This poor guy had a really rough childhood and it still has a ginormous impact on his adult life. You just want to give the dude a hug.
I also liked our heroine a whole lot more in this book. Kate is a survivor. She's managed to live through a ten year stint in a vampire prison and she is determined to stay free no matter what. Her plans are shot to shit when she's witness to the murder of a female vampire and the attempted kidnapping of a vampire child. Before the vampire dies, she begs Kate to take the child to his father. No prizes for guessing who the baby daddy is. 
Kate and Nicholas have some serious trust issues in the beginning. Nicholas is convinced that Kate is in league with the dastardly Ethan Dare, and Kate just wants to get the hell away from Nicholas. 
I liked the fact that these two weren't immediately goo-goo eyes over each other. Yes, there was attraction but they weren't declaring their undying love for each other from the get go. 
We also see more of Dillon, Lucian, Bronwyn, Gray, and the evil "Supreme One". First, let me say that I totally saw the identity of the bad guy coming. Seriously, Wright wasn't even subtle about it.
Gray was an interesting character. He was just about catatonic in Eternal Hunger, but he's snapped out of it now. I have to be honest, I don't think his being up and about is an improvement. This boy has one hell of a bad attitude. Lucian is particularly keen on beating some manners into him. I have a sneaking suspicion that something's going to happen between Gray and Dillon, which is weird because I thought Dillon was gay. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what happens there. 
We also saw the story for next book being set up. Eternal Captive will be Lucian and Bronwyn's book. It's already looking to be one of those "forbidden love" things. 
I don't think this series is ever going to be one my favourites, but I do think I might carry on with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment