Sunday 27 January 2013

Demonica Series: Ecstasy Unveiled

I would just like to warn you before you read any further: there will be fangirling. Lots of it. There will be exclamation marks, italics and, occasionally, bold font. I don't normally like to engage in such behaviour but, with this book, it couldn't be helped. 
I loved everything about this book. It was just so flippin' awesome! The characters are epic, the story is fast-paced and action-packed, and Larissa Ione is funny! I had already started giggling by the opening paragraph. I knew when Ione opened with this that I was going to adore this story.
Lore had always believed that when it came to sex, the more the merrier. Too bad for him that when "more" meant more than just himself, people tended to die.
Lore is our hero. Cue much girly sighing right here. Remember how I said that Wraith was my favourite Sem brother? Well, he's been overtaken by quite a bit. Lore is an assassin, he can kill through just one touch of his right hand, and he is such a marshmallow! He's also got a twin sister, Sin, who I've got a little bit of a girl-crush on. But I'll get to that later. 
Our story starts with Lore being instructed to kill his newly discovered brothers' buddy Kynan. Lore knows that this will completely decimate any chance he has of getting to know his brothers. But if he refuses, his master has threatened to kill Sin. No brainer for Lore, so off he goes to kill Kynan.
Or so he thinks. Before he gets the opportunity to do any damage, he's assaulted by Idess, an angel-in-training, whose job it is to protect Kynan. 
I really liked Idess. She never did that whole wilting flower thing, and she managed to tie Lore to her bed. Impossible for me not to like a heroine like that. 
Now on to my girl-crush. Sin is freaking awesome! Sin is an assassin like her brother, and she doesn't take shit from anyone. She's also got some trust issues. She's not overly keen on anyone getting too close, and this has left her being more than a little hostile towards her brothers. I just want to share my favourite Sin moments in this book. They're a little long, but they just serve to illustrate how awesome this chick is.
Super hot vampire/werewolf paramedic Conall is looking for Sin. She's not impressed with this and assumes that Eidolon sent him to get to know her (oh, the horror!). Conall assures her that this is not the case.
"I don't want to get to know you. I want to fuck you."
"Oh." Oh. Well, that was more like it...[some internal monologue here] "You promise that's all you want?"
His gaze seared her as he boldly dragged it up and down her body. "I swear I only want to get into your pants."
What a relief.
Just after Conall and Sin's little interlude, we see Conall collecting on his bet with the other paramedic, Luc. Basically, the bet was $500 on whether or not Conall would be able to go there with Sin. Needless to say, he went there. Conall and Luc are being pigs and discussing his victory and his possible disembowelment by the Sem brothers. 
"So," Luc said, "will it at least have been worth it? Being gutted by Shade, I mean. Was she good?"
His body heated at though remembering. And wanting again.
"Of course I was."
Fuck. Con spun around to find Sin standing there, hands on hips and fury in her expression. Like a kid caught stealing candy, he whipped the money behind his back. 
She looked at him as if he was an idiot, and grabbed his arm, bringing it around. 
"It's not what you think," he said lamely, because it was exactly what she thought. 
"Really? So that big asshole behind you didn't bet you five hundred bucks that you couldn't fuck me?"
"Ah..."
"That's what I thought. You dick. How stupid do you think I am? Your name really fits you, Con." She snatched the money from him, took two hundreds and three twenties, and thrust the remaining two hundred and forty dollars back into his hand. Then, smiling broadly, she punched him in the shoulder. "Next time you make a bet like that, don't cheat me out of my half. I owe you a ten." 
She winked and left him, jaw-dropped and gaping, as she sauntered away.
Epic, right? I cannot wait for to get my hands on Sin's book! 
With Ecstasy Unveiled, Larissa Ione has become one of my favourite authors. Honestly, this lady can do no wrong in my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment