Monday 21 January 2013

Mark of the Vampire Series: Eternal Hunger

I saw that this book had received rave reviews so I was really excited to read it. I mean, if the likes of Larissa Ione and Nalini Singh love your book then you have to be pretty awesome, right?
But I just was feeling it. The world that the story was set in was pretty cool, but I found the main characters frustrating. I initially thought that I was going to love Sara Donahue, our leading lady. She's a psychiatrist and seemed to be the sensible sort. Granted, she let this huge scary stranger into her house, but he seemed to be in need of medical attention and she's a doctor. So I could deal with this. I also liked that when Sara was attacked by a loony ex-patient, she wanted to call the police. Very good. The police are seriously undervalued in the paranormal romance universe. 
Then it starts going downhill fast. Sara has the appropriate "eeeek!" moment when Alexander, our hero, shows her his fangs. But then she goes wondering around with him like she's known him forever, without having that very important do-you-promise-not-to-eat-me conversation. 
In addition to dealing with a serious lack of self-preservation, we read about how these two are feeling intensely possessive of one another. Now, I know that things happen fast in the land of romance. I have read tons of books where, after a week, the lead characters decide that they can't live without one another. I usually suspend my disbelief. But in Eternal Hunger this was happening after one day.
One Day!
Sara wasn't the only character I was rolling my eyes at. Alexander is all "oooh, I just want to protect you", but then he takes her into a credenti (a vampire community) where humans are considered the lowest form of life. Hmmm... I don't know about you, but that doesn't sound terribly safe to me. He tells Bronwyn, a vampire who is under the impression that they're true mates, that he doesn't believe in love. But then he starts mooning over Sara like a starstruck Justin Bieber fan.
Let me throw out a few of my, ahem, favourite unlikely quotes from these two pea brains.
"This woman ruled his heart while the Order ruled his mind."
Excuse me? According to my mental calculations, you have known this chick for a day!
"It was utterly impossible for her to deny her attraction to him, her desire for him now, and she wasn't even going to try."
So far as I've been able to tell, you have made very little effort so far. Why start now?
It wasn't all horrendously bad though. There were some characters I kinda liked. There's Dillon, the fierce body guard, who had an inexplicable crush on Sara. We see quite a bit of Alexander's brothers, Nicholas and Lucian. Nicholas is the serious sort, whereas Lucian seems to be a bit of a loose cannon. Bronwyn is a vampire genealogist, and she doesn't take Lucian's crap. Looks like something is going to happen over there. 
There is some good news: I read the next book in the series (I'd already bought the damn thing) and it was much  better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment