Thursday 31 January 2013

FBI/US Attorney Series: A Lot Like Love

 As I was starting this book, I realised that I don't normally do contemporary romance. Not for any particular reason other than the fact that I'm usually drawn to the whole paranormal/urban fantasy scene. And I think I may have been missing out.
A Lot Like Love was an absolute gem. I didn't realise at the time that it's actually the second book in the FBI/US Attorney series, but it can be read as a stand alone. I'm normally a bit of a stickler (okay, I'm lying; I'm a gigantic pain in the ass about it) about reading books in order, but there was zero confusion in this book.
The story is set in Chicago and our two leads pretty much embody the whole "two completely different worlds" idea. Nick McCall works for the FBI and hails from Brooklyn. Jordan Rhodes is a billionaire heiress who owns a wine shop. Going by outward appearances, these two should have nothing in common. But their worlds collide when the FBI asks Jordan to help out with an undercover operation. All the FBI needs is for Jordan to get one of its agents into an ultra exclusive party hosted by restaurant owner, Xander Eckhart. Jordan is initially less than enthusiastic about this proposal, but the feds have made her an offer she can't refuse (I can't believe that I just used that cliche, but it's true). In exchange for her cooperation, the FBI will arrange to have Jordan's twin brother, Kyle, released from prison. Kyle has already served four months of an eighteen month sentence for hacking into, and shutting down, Twitter. 
Nick and Jordan were such a cute couple. I loved how they went from getting on each other's nerves, to sort of liking each other, to being totally into each other. The progression was pretty funny. Jordan is really super sarcastic, which had me snickering quite a bit. Here's one of my favourite quotes from when Nick lets his inner caveman out:
That was his fake girlfriend sitting there. Sitting at the table where they had just shared cheese fries the night before. And if she thought she could throw scorching hot sex-looks to any pansy-ass scarf-boy who wondered into her shop, she had another think coming. 
He had a look of his own to show the douchebag.
It was time to break out the don't-fuck-with-me face.  
I'd like to get to my favourite character, whose book is next in the series: Kyle. I really adored him. His reason for being put in jail was actually quite ridiculous. Kyle's girlfriend broke up with him via Twitter (and not a private message, but a tweet that the whole Twitterverse could see) and then posted a link showing her making out with another guy. I love this description of Kyle's reaction:
Kyle worked in technology; he knew it would only be a matter of time before the video of Daniela and the A-list actor went viral and spread everywhere. So he did what any pissed-off, red-blooded computer geek would do after catching his girlfriend giving an underwater blowjob to another man: he hacked into Twitter and deleted both the video and her earlier tweet from the site. Then, raging at the world that had devolved so much in civility that 140-character breakups had become acceptable, he shut down the entire network in a denial of service attack that lasted two days.
And so the infamous "Twitter Terrorist" was born...
I've just started with Kyle's book and, man, I can tell that I'm not going to be disappointed!



No comments:

Post a Comment