Wednesday 26 September 2012

Women of the Otherworld: Bitten

I finished the first book from the Women of the Otherworld a few days ago. Bitten is written from the perspective of Elena Michaels, the only female werewolf in the world. The werewolf gene is passed on along through males, but a person can become a werewolf if they're bitten. This is what happened to Elena ten years ago.
Her boyfriend, Clay, bit her. She's never quite forgiven him for it and, as a result, their relationship is what you would call stormy. So after several years of breaking up and making up, Elena decides that she's had enough. No more. She leaves Stonehaven, where she lives with The Pack, and moves to Ontario where she tries to carve out a normal life for herself. And she does. For a year, she manages to be "normal" (midnight strolls not included). She has a job and she's living with a really nice, understanding (human) guy. Then she gets a phone call from the Pack leader, Jeremy, telling her that she needs to come back to Stonehaven immediately.  Some "mutts" (non-Pack werewolves) have been causing trouble and the Pack needs Elena's help getting them in line.
This book was really action-packed. But I struggled with it a little bit. 
I really liked that Elena was one of those no-nonsense heroines and that she could totally take care of herself. I liked that Clay respected that fact and didn't get all uber-macho protective over her. He respected her abilities and let her do her thing. I liked how the Pack was one big family and that they all had each other's backs. I was also really looking forward to the mutts getting their butts kicked for all the trouble they were causing.
Now for me to get picky. I thought that Elena sometimes came off as... kinda heartless. I don't know why. I found it really hard to root for her. She totally forgot about her human boyfriend while at Stonehaven and didn't feel any more than a pang of guilt for engaging in hanky-panky with Clay. 
I think my biggest issue with Bitten was that I didn't really like Elena all that much.
But have no fear. I've just finished the next book in the series, Stolen, and I have to say that it was MUCH better. I think I will keep track of this series.


No comments:

Post a Comment