Sunday 17 February 2013

Lords of Deliverance: Immortal Rider

Immortal Rider is book two in the Lords of Deliverance series and, holy crap, was it good! I swear, just when you think that Larissa Ione can't get any more awesome, she comes along and takes it to the next level of oh-my-God-it's-so-good!
Immortal Rider is Limos and Arik's book. We saw in Eternal Rider that there was a little spark between these two, and in this book that spark becomes something more. 
Limos has pretty much been avoiding male company. See, she's actually engaged and he fiance is the jealous sort. Who's her fiance? Why, it's actually Mr Satan himself. If Limos gets too close to another guy, she risks being dragged back into hell to get married to the super evil, super scary, baddest demon of them all. If that isn't reason enough to remain celibate, I don't know what is. 
Then Arik comes along and shoots Limos' resolve to keep her hands to herself, quite literally, to hell. In the space of time it takes him to kiss her, he damns himself to being tortured in Sheoul (the demon realm). 
I think Limos may be one of my favourite female characters in the Demonica/Lords of Deliverance world. She's a little bit of a girly-girl, but not to the point where all she thinks about is planning her next outfit. She holds her own with her brothers and has more than her fair share of dark secrets. 
Much like Ares in the previous book, it took me a little while to warm up to Arik. I'm not entirely sure why that is, but I think he may be my least favourite hero. Which is not to say that he didn't have his moments of epicness. For example, after Arik escapes his torture chamber in Sheoul, he runs into Pestilence.
The Horseman smiled, exposing some serious fangage. 
Arik swallowed. Tried to anyway. His throat was too dry. But he definitely didn't like the sound of Pestilence's close thing. "Look, I'm sure you make all the lady demons cream their panties, but I'm just not that into you."
Either very brave or very stupid. Verdict is still out on which side I think he falls on.  
Immortal Rider, unlike the past books, seemed to focus a lot less on the romance between Arik and Limos. In fact, that was probably the least interesting part of the book. I enjoyed the Arik/Limos action, but there was a whole bunch of other stuff going on that had me practically salivating in anticipation for the next book, Lethal Rider. 
Because while Arik and Limos were making eyes at each other, the scene was being set for the next couple: Thanatos and Regan. 
Should Thanatos' seal break, he'll become Death. And the Horsemen are under the impression that Than's seal will break if he has sex. So he's been celibate for five thousand years. That does plenty to explain why the poor bloke is so crabby all the time. However, Thanatos' relative "innocence" isn't exactly a well-known fact, which is why the Aegis (a demon hunting organisation) send Regan to seduce him. They're under the impression that getting Regan pregnant will avert the upcoming apocalypse.
I love this series so much! It's so much fun! I can't wait to see what's the what between Regan and Thanatos. 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment