Friday 15 February 2013

Lords of Deliverance: Eternal Rider

Lords of Deliverance is a spin-off from Ms Ione's Demonica series, and it looks to be just as awesome. The series follows the triumphs and tribulations of the Four Horsemen. See, the Horsemen aren't necessarily evil; they just have the potential to become that way.
The Horsemen are Ares (War), Limos (Famine), Thanatos (Death), and Reseph (Pestilence). The Horsemen become their evil selves once people or events cause their seals to break. Our bad guy for this series is Reseph, whose seal broke at the end of Sin Undone (I can't find that book anywhere). 
Eternal Rider deals with Ares. It actually took a lot longer than usual for me to warm up to Ares. I thought that his grouchiness was quite funny and even a little endearing, but I didn't love him, you know? But then, more than half way through the book, Cara, our leading lady, had Ares blushing. This big, tough guy was going red and it was too cute for words.
Cara was pretty awesome too. She handled her introduction into the supernatural world pretty well, and her attachment to Hal the hellhound was pretty funny. 
On to Ares's siblings. Reseph, aka Pestilence, is such a creep. He is properly evil, but I find myself sad about it. Ms Ione puts in some flashbacks of what Reseph was like before he became Pestilence, and he was really nice! I almost found myself pissed off that the author had picked him to be the villain. 
Limos and Thanatos were cool too. It looks like Limos has a bit of a thing for Arik, which is funny as hell considering that during their first meeting she broke the poor guy's ribs. I think I like Thanatos best. He's so serious and grumpy that it's actually cute.
In addition to these new characters, we also see some familiar faces from the Demonica series. Kynan seems to be especially important in this series.
Since this is Larissa Ione, I can't let you go without sharing my favourite quote with you. This is a conversation between Limos and Thanatos:
"The R-XR dude, Arik, was kind of hot, don't you think?"
"Never seen anyone hotter," Than said, his sarcastic delivery so deadpan that anyone who didn't know better might think he was serious. "He fills my dreams with his hotness."
"Now we're getting into TMI. Your wet dreams aren't something I want to know about."


No comments:

Post a Comment