Tuesday 26 February 2013

Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold tells us the story of Carter Wessex and Nick Farrell. I'm having a hard time writing this because, believe it or not, I didn't actually... like this book all that much.
Gah! I can't believe I said that. But it's true. 
I just didn't feel it. I can't tell you why. Maybe my head just wasn't in the right place. But never mind my little bout of madness. Here's the basic gist of the story.
Nick Farrell is a business tycoon with a reputation for being ruthless. He lives on a mountain that potentially has enormous historical significance. However, no one is entirely sure how significant this mountain is because Nick won't let anyone on the mountain to actually determine whether or not the area was the scene of a great battle. Carter Wessex is an archaeologist and she wants on that mountain. Bad. When Carter approaches Nick, he tells her in no uncertain terms that it's not going to happen. After some glaring, snide comments, and door slamming, Nick realises that Carter is in fact the estranged daughter of one of his business partners. He finds himself wondering how grateful his business partner would be if Nick orchestrates some sort of reconciliation between father and daughter. Nick promptly changes his mind about allowing Carter to dig on his mountain, and the story progresses fairly predictably from there. 
I feel so disloyal saying that I didn't enjoy this book. J.R Ward is one of my all time favourite authors ever, and it almost causes me physical pain to admit that something she's written didn't rock my world. 
Please, somebody go read this book, and come back and tell me that I'm nuts. That it's all in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment