Saturday 24 November 2012

Nightwalkers Series: Gideon

Gideon is book 2 in the Nightwalkers series by Jacquelyn Frank. This book was better and worse than Jacob. Better because there was far less of Bella. We saw more of the characters I actually did like, like Noah and Elijah. We also met new characters like Damien, the vampire, and Siena, the lycanthrope. Each seem to have some potential for the next books in the series. The story wasn't too horrible.
Let me talk about the things that irritated me. Firstly, Gideon reminded me a little of Gregori from Christine Feehan's Dark Series. So there were times where I wanted to reach into the book and slap him (Gideon, not Gregori, in this case). Second, Legna struck me as... a little forgettable. With the previous book, I'm probably going to remember the story better because Bella pissed me off so badly. But with Legna... she was a little on the lackluster side of things. Thirdly, there was still too much Bella. I know she's a big deal in this world but I don't care. She's still annoying. My final issue is more with the writing than the actual story. I didn't mention it with Jacob but Ms Frank kinda writes funny. It's very... flowery. It takes a lot of getting used to. She also uses really super big words. I had to consult a dictionary a bunch of times. I was honestly thinking that she was making some of those words up. Also, I found some of Ms Frank's descriptions unintentionally hilarious. Like one description of Gideon had me in gales of laughter. I know she was trying to show that Gideon is old school, but it just struck me as ridiculous.
Gideon and Magdelegna met eight years ago and some sparks flew between the two of them. Ashamed of his behaviour, Gideon went on a self-imposed exile. But, with the crap hitting the fan in Jacob, Gideon was forced to reintegrate himself into demon society. Magdelegna is the king's baby sister, so she's lived a pretty sheltered life up until Bella came and turned things upside down. Gideon starts a few weeks after Jacob ended and shows that Magdelegna is struggling to cope with her ordeal of Samhain night. She's feeling all cut off and withdrawn and... crap. 
This brings me to my problem with Gideon (the book, not the actual guy). I know this sounds really awful but I can't actually remember what happened. I finished this book last Sunday but, with the exams, I didn't have time to give a review. And now I genuinely can't remember what the heck happened or how it ended. 
I think this is the main problem with this series. The first characters introduced don't have much oomph. Which is a pity because I imagine a bunch of people would abandon this series out of boredom. 
It isn't a bad series, it's just forgettable.

No comments:

Post a Comment